AS A MEANS OF IMPROVING SAFETY and facilitating a reduction of highway grade crossings, Montana Rail Link encourages the general public, cities and towns to implement crossing consolidation projects.
Applying for an existing Road Crossing
IF APPLICATION IS MADE AND APPROVED, the applicant must enter into an agreement with the Railroad. Applicant will be responsible for keeping gates closed, rail flangeways free of obstruction, and vegetation cut in all four quadrants. Applicant will attach location sketch or aerial image showing pertinent details and North arrow. Failure to provide all of the requested information will result in the automatic cancellation of this application.
TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT
- Applicant will reimburse railroad for engineering review fees and will be obligated to pay an annual permit fee.
- All future maintenance from end of tie to end of tie must be performed by MRL forces and at the applicant’s expense.
- Grading, drainage and continued maintenance work on roadway approaches, is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
- Any installation and maintenance of current or future warning devices required for the crossing (active or passive) is at applicant’s sole expense.
- Any relocation costs of a utility due to modification of the crossing is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Applicant must provide and maintain proof of insurance meeting the coverage stated in the agreement issued to applicant for signature.
- Depending on work and proximity to tracks Railroad Protective Insurance may be required.
- Interested parties are encouraged to use alternate access by way of parallel or other roads leading to existing crossings. Anyone interested in the installation of a new crossing should contact MRL Real Estate.
EXISTING ROAD CROSSING APPLICATION
Submit the application and all attachments. There is a non-refundable $100.00 application fee for review of this application. Please plan and allow for approximately six months to process your service request.
SUBMIT PAYMENT TO:
Montana Rail Link, Inc.
101 International Drive
P.O. Box 16624
Missoula, MT 59808