Real Estate – Flagging

Flagging Real Estate


MRL’s RAILROAD RIGHT OF WAY IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. MRL’s federally-mandated safety rules require a flagger (or, rarely, a track may be locked out of service) for third party projects in which people and equipment will be within 25 feet of railroad tracks. Please read the 2-part application process below, and note the following:

  • The cost of flagging shall be paid by the requesting party.
  • Flagging is estimated to cost $1,400 per day.
  • The time of flagging begins and ends at the flagger’s workplace (including travel time).
  • Flagging costs can also include (but not be limited to) supervisory time and vehicle usage.

Steps for Obtaining a Flagger


The first part of the process to obtain a flagger is to submit an application for a TOP  by following the link below. Please note that a TOP is also referred to as a “Site/Land Lease” Application. Once your TOP has been received and reviewed by an MRL representative, you will be contacted to provide remainder of the information contained in Part 2 of the flagger application process.

Temporary Occupancy Permit Application


After you’ve completed the TOP application, please continue with this part of the application process.

  1. INFORMATION REQUEST: MRL will request that you provide some supplemental information for flagging.
  2. PAYMENT: Send the required deposit check to MRL at the following address: Montana Rail Link, PO Box 16390, Missoula, MT 59808. Please write “Flagging Deposit” in the memo line of the check.
  3. WORK ORDER CREATED: After your deposit check is received, MRL will create a billable work order and advise the local Supervisor that a flagger will be requested.
  4. SUPERVISOR CONTACT: MRL will provide you with the local supervisor’s contact information. Contact the MRL supervisor at least five (5) days in advance of your date requested. A flagger will only be provided when the railroad’s workforce and workload allow.
  5. BALANCE INVOICE/REFUND: After completion of flagging, a balance invoice (either payment due or refund) will be sent to the billing address that was provided on the Flagger supplement form.