MRL’S PROPERTY IS RAIL ROAD RIGHT OF WAY and is private property. MRL’s federally-mandated safety rules require a flagger (or, rarely, a track may be locked out of service) for third party projects in which people and equipment will be within 25 feet of railroad tracks.
Flagging is estimated to cost $1,000 per day. The time of flagging begins and ends at the flagger’s workplace (including travel time). Flagging costs can also include (but not be limited to) supervisory time and vehicle usage. The cost of flagging shall be paid by the requesting party.
Steps for Obtaining a Flagger
The process for obtaining a flagger is as follows:
- SUBMIT APPLICATION: Submit an application for a Temporary Occupancy Permit (found below).
- PAY DEPOSIT & PROVIDE PROJECT INFO: A representative from MRL will then contact you. At this point, you will be asked to pay the flagging deposit and provide additional information including contact, location and project details.
- FLAGGER IS REQUESTED: After your deposit check is received, MRL will create a billable work order and advise the local Supervisor that a flagger will be requested.
- FLAGGER IS SCHEDULED: Following the request for a flagger, we will put you in touch with a local Supervisor to work directly with you in coordinating the flagger. Note that you’ll need to get in touch with the Supervisor at least five days in advance of the date you need the flagger.
- BALANCE INVOICE: After completion of flagging, a balancing invoice (either payment due or refund) will be sent to the billing address you provided.
APPLY FOR A FLAGGER
Failure to provide all of the requested information will result in the automatic cancellation of this application.
SUBMIT PAYMENT TO:
101 International Drive
P.O. Box 16390
Missoula, MT 59808