ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS is important to Montana Rail Link, and it is our intention to cooperate, as much as possible, with any inquires to occupy railroad property for environmental investigation or clean up due to contamination that may have encroached on to railroad property. To inquire about occupancy of railroad property for these activities, please use the permit application found below.
How You Obtain a Permit
Anyone inquiring about occupancy of railroad property for environmental investigation or clean up due to contamination that may have encroached on to rail road property must submit an Environmental Access application 6 months prior to the requested date of occupancy. Applicants are required to submit a full disclosure of the purpose of the investigation, and will be required to enter into a written agreement. All guidelines and standards are in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
The following information must be provided with each application:
- LOCATION AND LOCATION EXHIBIT: Provide a complete legal description of the property including section, township, range, city, county and state, railroad milepost, and a map showing its relation to RR ROW, track, etc. Provide a location exhibit showing the precise location of proposed work relative to any landmarks, structures, track, etc. You may also request a railroad plat map from the Real Estate Department to assist you in locating the specific site area.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Provide background information concerning the condition which gives rise to the request for access. Identify specific contaminants of concern.
- WORK TO BE PERFORMED: Provide background information concerning the condition which gives rise to the request for access. Identify specific contaminants of concern.
- CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: Provide a copy of order, decree, permit, or other legal or regulatory instruction which governs the work.
- IDENTIFICATION: Identify individuals/entities for whom access is requested.
- TERM: Identify term of requested access.
- RESTORATION: Provide detailed description of the restoration work that will be performed either concurrently with or following access.
EXHIBIT / SKETCH
An exhibit/sketch of the proposed leased property, with dimensions, should accompany all applications. Any planned improvements on the property, with dimensions from the nearest track, should also be depicted. An example of what the sketch might look like is shown below.
Try to provide as many details or landmarks that identify the premises as possible. Mileposts generally exist along every mile of the railroad and are similar in appearance to the mile markers found along interstates. If you have a GPS (Global Positioning System), please include property latitude and longitude.
ENVIRONMENTAL ACCESS APPLICATION
Submit the application and all attachments. There is a non-refundable $500.00 application fee for review of this application.
SUBMIT PAYMENT TO:
101 International Drive
P.O. Box 16624
Missoula, MT 59808